From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:16:39 -0500
This Simpson enthusiast is only only mildly interested in his music's
palindromic structures, etc.; at least at this stage.  That said, my
favourite symphony, the 9th, strikes me as having a sort of irrefragable
musical logic.  At least at some subterranean level I feel there's a
thorough inevitability to its unfolding -- which is not to say that I find
it predictable.  Perhaps some day I'll plumb the sort of depths required
to see if this feeling is borne out by the musical notation or something
in its overall structure.

For now I'll just mention my great liking for his Piano Trio and the Violin
Sonata, and ask if anyone (Martin Anderson?) knows of the likelihood of a
recording of his Violin Concerto, which IIRC Simpson disowned.  A curiosity
sparked mainly by his superb Piano Concerto.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa