From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:03:55 -0700
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>What you mean with 'elevate the human condition'? Art lovers don't commit
>murders, anger, grief, crime, jealousy, hate, betrayal, etc? Are we better
>persons because we like Classical Music? I don't think so.

I agree and I'm not sure where you got any of this from what I wrote.

What I actually wrote was:

>I need art that is striving to reach beyond the mundane, to elevate the
>human condition.

Perhaps it's my sentence structure that's confusing.  Allow me to
rephrase.  What I meant was that I need art that is striving to reach
beyond the mundane.  I need art that striving to elevate the human
condition (specifically my condition).  By that I mean that while I look
to art for insights into the world around me, I also need it to help me
transcend the everyday ugliness of human life, if only for a little while.
Will this also make me a better person? I'm willing to entertain the
possibility.  But, no, I do not believe that simply listening to a certain
type of music automatically makes people either better or worse.

>I would like to suggest, so, that the human search for Art is not to elevate
>human condition, but to skip from it and all it's flatness.

Elevate.  Transcend.  Skip away.  I think we may be saying nearly the same
thing but in different words.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/