From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:41:29 +0100
Mats Norrman wrote:

>So it is ok with musicians who give a sloppy slibby roppy completely
>unengaged performance in complete lack of interest for what they get
>money for, but it is not ok to criticize them??

You deliberately exaggerate to be right in the end.  Completely unengaged
performances are very rare.  Surely it is the concertgoer's good right to
criticize.  But to boo after people worked hard (and most musicians work
hard even if we don't like their performance) is extremely unpolite.  I am
convinced that most booers just take the fine opportunity to let out their
aggressive tendencies.  If you really fell victim to a sloppy slibby roppy
completely unengaged performance (interesting English, by the way) go and
tell them at the backstage door.

>When I go to a concert I want passion, and if the performers can't play a
>piece better then I can play myself, or compose, why should I be satisfied
>with paying money that? And I will not leave the concerthall quietly --->
>I think it feels lousy when I see people being fooled, or even worser:
>agree on being fooled.  In most of cases in life I can't do much about
>such things, but in this I can at least express my disguist with it, and
>therefore I will do that.:-)

The problem is that you patronize other people by behaving thus.  How
do you know that other people get fooled? Maybe you are the fool and the
others are the ones with the better musical understanding.  As impossible
as that may seem to you.

Robert