From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:11:00 CHARSET="WINDOWS-1252"
Yoel Arbeitman, on La Damnation de Faust:

>Markevitch's 1958 DG recording with the Faust of Richard Verreau
>and other fine singers is also highly worthwhile.  I believe this is
>now released on a two-fer with Symphonie fantastique.

Although abridged, this version has a great deal to recommend it, not
least some fabulous work from the chorus and, of course, Markevitch's
taut and exciting conducting.  I replaced my LPs about ten years ago
with a French super-budget twofer which opened up the bass in particular:
its reappearance on DG Originals will no doubt be better still.  The
coupling is Harold in Italy, which I've not heard.

Richard Pennycuick