From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 10:03:16 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Hello everyone, I'm a newbie on this list and a newbie to classical music
>in general.  I really love the work of Ralph Vaughan Williams, particularly
>his "Fantasia on Greensleeves" and "The Lark Ascending".  Can anyone
>recommend what they feel to be the best recordings of these pieces?
>Thanks very much.:)

I am guessing you also have heard the Fantasia on a theme of Thomas
Tallis and usually you can get it with the others works you mentioned
on 1 CD. I would look for the London Chamber Orchestra, Warren-Green
cond.  on Virgin/EMI.  This should be at budget price now and might be
in a 2 for 1 deal with other works.  I am not a big fan of these works
but I do enjoy my disc from time to time and I might add, it received a
rosette in the Penguin Guide.  However there are others (the English
labels) that also are very good--ASMF, Marriner(old favorite) and the
rest I have not heard such as Barbirolli(not sure if you can get the
Lark Ascending).

Glenn Miller