From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 19:51:28 PDT
Mike Cole wrote:

>I am somewhat baffled by the extreme hostility expressed on this list
>towards John Williams, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Henryk Gorecki and
>a few others.

I don't think its extreme hostility; much of the writing is likely "juiced
up" to elicit comments.  I know mine are, although the basic view is 100%
sincere.

>Do we simply resent that they make a lot of money?  That doesn't
>seem fair.

Life's not fair.  When I think I'm treated unfairly, no bells ring and no
penalties are allocated to the offenders.  I have to live with it and be
more alert the next time.

>Copland, Stravinsky, Vaughn Williams, Bartok, Kodaly, Liszt (all of whom
>I like) and many others have borrowed themes and ideas from folk music
>and/or other composers, yet they are never attacked for their borrowing.
>Can anyone supply me with an objective (as opposed to an emotional)
>explanation for this seemingly dual standard?

Objectivity? I don't know if I possess any, but I'll give it a shot.  The
first list of composers Mike mentioned are not considered by the classical
music society (where is it?) to be fully within the fold; the second list
is.  Right or wrong, there's some feeling that those other composers have
"copped-out" and lined up with the big money and fame that "popular"
signifies.  There is also a likely notion that the "quality competition"
is slimmer on the popular side.

Personally, I don't care about the money.  Many folks I don't have much
respect for make tons of money.  I can't spend my life grousing over that
fact, and I know that money does not add to happiness or a rewarding life.

It does bother me some when persons whom I consider of only moderate or
less talent/skill are lauded by other persons who are intelligent and know
music very well.  It's as if the world has gone into a tailspin.  Williams,
Madonna, Michael Jackson - the list goes on far too long.  Mediocrity and
worse rises to the top, while individual excellence, focus, and dedication
are thrown in the dumpster.  It's very difficult for any society to
maintain its viability when the sludge is saluted.  Hail to the Chief!

Don Satz - Still not feeling Congenial