From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:46:14 -0800
George Marshall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Has anyone any views on his music?

Your mention of his name reminds me that I haven't listened to his music
in several years.  My fondest memory is of his 8th Symphony, which I
still recall as being uncommonly beautiful.

My problem with his music was that I sometimes found it to ramble.  It
did not have the staying power of VaughanWilliams or Britten.  I will
turn to the music of Bax, Rubbra or Moeran before I would think about
Lloyd.  Perhaps it is just having too much wonderful music to choose
from.

For the sake of comparison...while Lloyd's music seems to wander
some...Brian's music seems lost most of the time to me...

I think it is time I brought out Lloyd's 8th again and give it a listen.

And speaking of things British...well, Polish/British...any thoughts out
there on A. Panufnik?

Karl