From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:29:13 -0400
Bob Draper wrote about Mozart's counterpoint:

>The pundits seem to be awarding plaudits to M for this line of approach
>but to me the result seems messy.  There's much too much going on in 'late'
>Mozart for my liking as the man seeks to impress.  The musicians seem to be
>having a battle with each other.
>
>The man WAS right "too many notes"!

Well, there may have been a point when WAM wrote "too many notes", but
I tend to place that more in his earlier years, not his late ones.  The
Jupiter was written ca.  1788, and he had 3+ more years to go.

When I listen to works like Zauberflote, the Clarinet Quintet and
Concerto, the final Piano Concerto, the works for glass harmonica, "Ave
Verum Corpus", and even the Requiem, I don't hear a lot of "battling"
counterpoint or flashiness.  IIRC, Rosen has also mentioned this sparser
style of writing in his book "The Classical Style".

Bill H.