From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:00:15 -0400
A little something to add to the old discussion of the demise of classical
radio in the US.

   'CRB drops Met opera broadcasts

   Tiny WHRB likely successor to air the live performances

   By Clea Simon, Globe Staff, 07/23/99

   Ending a performance that has lasted longer than the "Ring" cycle,
   WCRB-FM (102.5) has terminated its 33-year association with the
   Metropolitan Opera in New York.  When the live broadcasts from the
   Lincoln Center opera house resume in November, the Waltham-based
   station will not carry the Saturday afternoon performance.

   It seems likely that a college radio station, Harvard University's
   WHRB-FM (95.3), will pick up the classical music institution.  The
   shift in stations, from a 50,000-watt commercial station to an
   approximately 6,000-watt college station, would mean a dramatic loss
   of range, and audience, for the Texaco-sponsored, November-through-April
   broadcast.

   "WCRB does not want to carry them next season, and we are in
   negotiations right now," said Peter Clark, press representative for
   the opera company, which has broadcast the matinees since Dec.  24,
   1931.  Texaco started its sponsorship in 1940.

   Bill Campbell, CEO for Charles River Broadcasting, WCRB's parent
   company, says the decision was prompted by inflexibility on the part
   of the opera company.  "Carrying the Met for us is like carrying
   sports for 'EEI, but with sports you have a halftime show or whatever,"
   said Campbell.  "The Met totally controls everything; we're not
   allowed to say anything.  As a licensee, we're turning our station
   over to these people.  It's a wonderful worldwide institution, but
   they are - in my opinion - as radio broadcasters operating as they
   did 30 years ago.  We did not ask much, but they said, `absolutely
   not.' I assure you, it was not a quick decision."

   The station, which reaches Providence, into the Merrimack Valley,
   and past Worcester does not yet have firm replacement plans for its
   Saturday afternoons, said Campbell, although it has recently signed
   a deal to be the official sponsor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra's
   upcoming season.

   Although negotiations are still officially ongoing, the prime contender
   to adopt the classical institution, WGBH-FM (89.7), said it will not
   pick up the broadcasts.

   "The Met has contacted us," confirmed Leah Hollenberger, a spokeswoman
   for the public radio station.  "We have declined to carry the Met
   Opera for two reasons.  First, for the past 20 yearswe've devoted
   Saturday afternoons to folk music, very popular and very beloved
   programs that we want to keep." Currently the station airs "Celtic
   So journ" with Brian O'Donovan, noon-2 p.m., and "The Folk Heritage,"
   with Dick Pleasants, 2-6 p.m.  (Tomorrow Pleasants will broadcast
   live from the Lowell Folk Festival, noon-6 p.m.)

   "The Metropolitan Opera dictates that their opera broadcasts must be
   carried live, and they are fed live on Saturday afternoons," said
   Hollenberger.  "We also feel that we clearly offer opera and other
   vocal music, including local productions, throughout our classical
   service." The 100,000-watt station (which reaches into Maine, New
   Hampshire, Rhode Island, and west past Worcester) broadcasts
   performances of the Boston Lyric Opera and the Boston Early Music
   Festival.

   All of which leaves the little WHRB the likely host in the fall.
   The Cambridge-based station, which can be heard within Interstate
   495, has for the past 40 years regularly programmed opera in its
   eclectic schedule, airing recordings on Sunday nights at 8.

   "WHRB is interested in having the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts if
   arrangements work out," confirmed David Elliot, chairman of the board
   of trustees for the Harvard station.  "It's the longest continual
   broadcast in American history and should not be allowed to disappear
   from this area."

    This story ran on page D15 of the Boston Globe on 07/23/99.
    (c) Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

If you want to write or call WCRB:

WCRB
750 South Street
Waltham, MA 02453