From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:03:00 -0400
Don Satz writes:

>There are usually a few new recordings that I'm somewhat suspicious of:
>
>Harnoncourt conducting Johann Strauss on Teldec - This does appear odd on
>the surface.  Perhaps Harnoncourt will tackle Gershwin next.

I don't know how new this is.  I had a Harnoncourt/Concertgebouw Orch
recordings of Struass waltzes, polkas and a couple of overtures (IIRC),
and it was terribly serious and devoid of charm -- not my ideal for this
repertoire which has to charm, beguile and seduce.  I've never seen a real
smile on NH in any picture I've run across.  I gave it away.  This doesn't
work for JS - better go for Carlos Kleiber, THE top conductor of this
material today (perhaps ever).  The latter's Blue Danube makes you realize
why 19th century mothers were reluctant to have their daughters dance the
waltz - a short step from ballroom to bedroom...

Eric Kisch