From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:13:04 -0400
I can well picture the Ustad Ali Akhbar Khan concert described by Janos
Gereben, having heard the maestro several times and having listened to
many of his recordings.  By calculation from Janos's review, UAAK is about
77 and his father's longevity notwithstanding, I would urge any on this
list who are fortunate to have an UAAK concert scheduled within driving
distance to run, not walk, to the phone to book tickets for a shattering
and exquisite musical experience by one of the greatest masters of music
this century has seen.

Devotees to western classical music should have few problems getting into
the world of ragas, having been trained for music that goes beyond a "3
minute cut." The complex interplay and rhythms will enchant and dazzle
and the kind of musical dialogue that UAAK establishes with his partners
is almost unknown in western music.

Don't say no, just GO!  And be prepared to be so high on endorphins that
you'll float out of your seat for a standing ovation, any inhibitions
notwithstanding.

Eric Kisch