From:
Chris Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:56:34 -0500
Press Release March 24, 2000

Brave New Works, a new music series dedicted to promoting, presenting and
performing contemporary classical music for a broad audience without
compromising artistic integrity will present a festival of New Music on
April 22-30 featuring four concerts.  Detailed information can be found
on our website at:

   http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cyoungk/rub2.htm

Chamber Music America has desginated out website as No. 17 in their Top 50
music websites in the world article.

Concert No.1
   4.22.2000  Saturday 8 pm in the McIntosh Theatre
   7 pm There will be a pre-concert lecture by
   Composers; Evan Chambers, Tom Schnauber, and Carter Pann

   Evan Chambers, "Duo for viola and bass"
   Carolyn Lukancic, viola
   Anthony Stoops, bass

   Evan Chambers, New song cycle
   Jennifer goltz, soprano and David Maki, Piano
   [World Premiere]

   Tom Schnauber, "The Walrus and the Carpenter"
   Anne Adams, mezzo soprano and Brave New Works Ensemble
   Chris Younghoon Kim, conductor
   [World Premiere]

   Carter Pann, "Women"
   Jennifer Goltz, soprano and Brave New Works Ensemble
   Chris Younghoon Kim, conductor
   [World Premiere]

Concert No. 2
   4.26.2000 Wednesday 8 pm [venue TBA]

   Brave New Works presents the new music ensemble KYLIX
   Maurice Ravel "Chansons Madecasses"
   Flute, cello, piano, voice (baritone)

   Dorothy Chang "Bloom"
   solo cello

   Astor Piazzolla "Veinte A~nos Despues"
   (arr. Gerardo Dirie`)
   flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion

   Peter Maxwell Davies "Eight Songs for a Mad King"
   KYLIX Ensemble

Concert No.3
   4.29.2000 Saturday 8 pm Britton Recital Hall
   7pm There will be a pre-concert lecture
   by composer Forrest Pierce

   Guest Artist Matthew Ardizzone, solo guitar

   William Walton, "Bagatelle No. 1
   (from Five Bagatelles for Julian Bream, 1972)
   Allegro (1902-1983)

   Sergio Assad "Aquarelle"
   1.  Divertimento
   2.  Valseana
   3.  Preludio e toccatina

   Leo Brouwer "El Decameron Negro"
   1.  El Arpa del Guerrero
   2.  Huida de los Amantes por el valle de los ecos
   3.  Balada de la Doncella Enamorada

   Forrest Pierce "Artifacts"
   Andrea Yun, cello
   Tim Christie, viola

   Forrest Pierce "Sea Changes"
   Jennifer Goltz, soprano
   Anne Adams, mezzo Soprano
   Brave New Works Ensemble
   Chris Younghoon Kim, conductor
   [World Premiere]

Concert no. 4
   4.30.2000 Sunday 8 pm McIntosh Theatre
   Celloholics concert

   Josquin, "Le deploration sur la mort de Johannes Ockeghem"
   Cello Ensemble

   Thomas Gregory, "Music for four cellos"
   Thomas Gregory, Vivian Sunnarvik, Katri Ervamaa, Christine Chu,

   Garth Sunderland, "Heavenly Dark Angel"
   Colin Meeks, cello
   [World Premiere]

   Benjamin Britten "Tema <<SACHER>>"
   Emily Stoops, cello

   Luciano Berio "Les Mots sont alles"
   Leo Eguchi, cello

   Henri Dutilleux, "Hommage a Paul Sacher"
   YoonYoung Kim, cello

   Kaija Saariaho, "Petals for solo cello and optional electronics"
   Katri Ervamaa, cello

   Julius Klangel, "Hymnus for 12 celli"
   Arvo Part, "Fratres for 12 celli"
   Heitor Villa lobos "Bachians Brazillas No. 5"
   Emily Benner, soprano
   Brave New Works Cello Ensemble
   Chris Younghoon Kim, conductor

We look forward to seeing you at our concerts.  All Brave New Works events
are free and open to the public.  We are in search of sponsors to bring new
music to a wider public.

Chris Younghoon Kim
Artistic Director
800-896-7340