From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 21:07:00 +0200
Jee-Sun Huh writes:

>Just wondering how you guys started enjoying classical music

I've been listening to and playing classical music as long as I can
remember.  My parents noticed when I was about 3 that I could carry a tune,
and shortly thereafter that I could continue that tune even when my mom
was singing harmony.  They started me on piano at 4.  When I was 6 I heard
Joseph Shor play the LvB violin concerto--I was in the front row and could
hear his fingers thumping away on the fingerboard and thought that was Very
Cool.  We moved to England when I was 8 and I started playing the flute.
We went to classical concerts a lot that year and I remember coming home
after a symphony concert and declaring that I wanted to be a musician when
I grew up.  We came back to Vermont and I used to listen to that Beethoven
concerto over and over, often merrily conducting the record player with my
flute cleaning rod as a baton.  Being a rather "husky" (read fat) little
kid, the others used to tease me about playing the flute, wondering if I
were going to eat it, and I had a nasty experience once involving a
marching band and something left by a horse, so my enthusiasm for the flute
was waning when I went to junior high school.  I joined the "orchestra"
which in Brattleboro Vermont consisted of 4 flutes, an oboe, 3 clarinets,
a bassoon and a violin.  When the teacher dug up an old cello and asked me
if I'd like to switch, seeing as there were an abundence of flutes, I
jumped at the chance.  The rest, as they say, is hysteria.

David Runnion
http://mp3.com/serafinotrio
http://mp3.com/DavidRunnion