From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:42:52 +1100
Roger Hecht wrote in reply to Hi-Do Shin 's query about a Boult-conducted
Elgar set:

>>The website doesn't give me a lot of details about the recordings.  It
>>only says that these are MONO recordings, but I am not even sure if
>>that applies to all the works in the CD set.
>
>I'm guessing that these are the recordings Boult made around the 50s or
>so.  I forget exactly and haven't heard them in years.  I remember he
>recorded Enigma twice with the LPO, once in mono, once in stereo.  I'm
>guessing this is the mono.

The mono Enigma was my first version and IMHO it's never been bettered,
although Boult's stereo remake comes close.  This latter is generously
coupled with his last version of The Planets, assuming it's not a victim
of EMI's mania for deletion.

If you're interested in a slightly different view of Elgar, I'm a fan of
Leonard Slatkin's versions of the symphonies on RCA which also have the
Serenade for Strings (with #1) and In the South (with #2).

Richard Pennycuick