From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 07:54:12 +1000
I've been listening to this set very gradually instead of gorging on it.
All I had heard previously were JB's 5th, which I love, and the Scenes
Historiques excerpts, which I've treasured on LP for many years.  I was
going to weigh in after hearing the whole set, but...

In an earlier post, Deryk highlighted the detail that Barbirolli finds
worthy of comment.  I've heard only the first three symphonies but there
are many things I'd never noticed in Collins or in Ashkenazy, like - and
this is hardly original!  - being made aware of details in a painting by
someone who really knows their stuff.  The first real tendrils of winter
are making themselves felt, which is perfect weather for listening to
the 4th today.  I will still return to Collins, whose 3rd is still my
benchmark, and to Ashkenazy and Vanska, but already I have the feeling
that Barbirolli will eventually become my favourite.  In Australia, it
costs little more than one full-price CD for the whole set and I assume
it's similarly priced elsewhere.  Anyone who loves Sibelius should have
this set.  My only regret is that Barbirolli didn't record Tapiola.  That
would have been something.

Just to round off a quality weekend's listening, I immersed myself in
Angela Hewitt's Goldberg Variations.  To borrow a review from Stravinsky -
Wow!

Richard Pennycuick