From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:10:38 +1100
Steinberg's 1st symphony has been released by DG with the Gothenbergers
conducted by Neeme Jarvi.  I suspect this is the result of a Jarvi
enthusiasm rather than a sea change in policy direction for DG.  The
reviewer in Gramophone was not all that keen on the piece, and I wondered
whether any impulsive lister had taken the plunge and is more enthusiastic.

The reviewer spent a sentence or three saying unkind things about Glazunov.
This seems to be a fairly common practice among reviewers.  I happen to
like Glazunov's music and while I wouldn't regard him among the greatest
of the Russians, I think he's a considerable deal better than the amiable
hack, as he's so often painted.

Richard Pennycuick