From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:41:23 -0500
William Jenks asks on behalf of his 5 year old son:

>Can anyone recommend a nice version sung in English translation? I know
>that's anathema to a lot of folks, but he's interested in the story as well
>as the music, and not old enough to appreciate either German or translated
>liner notes.

I don't know of a recorded version myself, though I've seen stagings in
English often enough.

Perhaps he's too young now, but later on it might be worth trying out
Ingmar Bergman's film version of the opera, if it's available.  They
sing it in Swedish, but with English subtitles.

Bill H.