From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:45:05 -0600
An artist should have the freedom to choose his or her palette.  To
criticise a modern piece of music for using tonality would be like
criticising a painting for not being abstract, or for having too much
of a certain color.  I'm more interested in what the artist was trying to
say, and how well he or she said it.  Along the same lines, I don't like
it when a composer tries to carve out a nitch by settling on a certain
style.  Sometimes I think Shostakovich and Messiaen did that, although I
like their music.  Ives used conventional tonality in the 3rd movement of
his 4th symphony.  He explained, "no need to throw tonality out the window"
(if I remember correctly).

Mike