From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:37:46 PDT
John Smyth wrote:

>Don, are you sure there is no connection between your music education and
>your appreciation of CM?

There is no connection with any school system; the connection is on the
homefront.  My dad was a violinist, mom was a pianist, and I was playing
piano, then clarinet.  My piano teacher had attractive cleavage, and the
clarinet teacher was a Boston Symphony Orchestra member wanna-be who had
a fixation on his reeds, and unfortunately, mine also.

Although I'd prefer to depreciate the influence, there's no denying that
the strong musical education I received through my parents made it a "snap"
to get back into classical music when I let go of hard rock in my mid 30's.
I'd say that without any of that childhood education, it's very unlikely
I would ever have given a thought to classical music.  So, all the list
members who emphasize the significance of musical education (no matter
where you get it) to the vitality of the classical music world are right
on target.  Classical music does not really play any part in the "regular"
world; it needs special tending to thrive or even maintain itself.

Don Satz