From:
Daryl Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 13:57:12 -0700
I would say that Telemann is one of the hardest to catalogue that I have
ever seen.  He does have a system:  TWV numbers ranging from 1-55.  Then,
there is a sub-heading for the key and # in sequence.  So, a sonata in g
minor for Violin, Viola da Gamba & Continuo exists as TWV42:g10 (TWV 42 are
all pieces for two intruments and continuo, the piece is in g minor and it
is the 10th like it).  It sounds complicated and it is.  This problem is
compounded with this fact as well:  TWV42:g11 is also a sonata in g minor
for Violin, Viola da Gamba and Continuo.  So, unless you know Telemann's
music extremely well (which I do not), I don't believe it would be possible
to be 100% sure of what is on any given CD, and I feel that this is why
labels leave the information off.  Though this post seemingly makes little
sense, there is, I believe, a good website that I have taken most of my
information from.  It is:

   http://infopuq.uquebec.ca/~uss1010/catal/telemann/telgp.html

Sorry for how convoluted this post is.  I have the system down in my head,
but getting it on paper consistently proves to be difficult.  Hope it helps
for what it's worth.

Daryl R. Loomis