From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:42:09 -0700
Geoffrey S.W. Gaskell wrote an interesting post about Lloyd.

As usual (so it seems) it just so happens that a Lloyd CD came across my
desk today.  So I listened to it, of course.  It is on Albany (of course)
#316, and contains his 2 violin concertos.  The first is for Violin &
Strings, the 2nd for Violin & Wind Orchestra.  I'm on my second pass now,
I keep getting distracted (blasted job) but the first at least is very
interesting, dating from 1970 (the second from 1977).  Rich string
sonorities and a few memorable bits already, even after 1 " hearings.

The booklet tells much about Lloyd, apparently he had quite the involvement
with the Albany Symphony and label (they have most of his recorded
catalogue).  This recording was being prepared and made mere weeks before
he died last year.  They also commissioned his last 2 symphonies, and he
came over and conducted the Albany SO a bit back.

Albany 316: George Lloyd Violin Concertos
Cristina Anghelescu, Violin
Philharmonia Orchestra, David Parry, conducting

Coincidence?  Or Fate?  Worth hearing, either way.

Bob K.

 [I must have missed Lloyd's death.  Can someone oplease email me privately
 with the exact date?  [log in to unmask]  -Dave]