From:
Janice Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 03:32:41 +0000
Hi Folks, I just came home from attending the National Symphony Orchestra
performance of the Britten War Requiem.  I totally agree with all the rave
reviews it recieved.  It was just beautiful and moving.  I especially
enjoyed the choral singing.  The Washington Chorus (under the direction
of Robert Shafer) filled most of the stage behind the orchestra and
sang in complete unison and harmony.  Their voices blended well with
the instrumentalists so that neither the chorus nor the orchestra was
overpowering the other.  The Childrens Chorus of Washington (under the
direction of Joan Gregoryk) also sang.  The Children's Chorus was placed
in the uppermost tier in the rear of the Concert Hall.  I thought this
provided an interesting effect, the children's voices lilting over the
listeners heads like those of angels.

A special congratulations to both the Washington Chorus and the Childrens
Chorus for that magnificent job tonight.

Even more kudos go to the 3 soloists...
Christine Goerke, Soprano
Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Tenor
Alan Opie, Baritone

Their singing was perfect, so breathtakingly beautiful, they were greeted
with an enthusiastic standing ovation at the end of the concert.

Janice Rosen