From:
Elizabeth Gnidovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:29:04 EST
few points:

For the most, an appreciation of CM is based on two things, exposure
when very young and CM as part of one's culture. If a child is exposed
to and grows up with CM, he/she is likely to be a CM lover for life."

Popping in from lurkdom to give an alternate view.   While familiarity
in one's enviroment is one factor, I don't think it explains everything.
Personally, I grew up listening to pop radio, and had only been to one
classical music concert as a child, and I didn't appreciate it, because
I didn't understand it.   What drew my interest as an adult was boredom
with the simpleness of pop music.  I still listen to the blues or classic
rock on occassion, but it doesn't sustain my interest.   It became boring
and repetitive.

While ushering at the local playhouse and being exposed to ballet and
dance, I found stimulation in the music the dance was set to....Mendolsohn,
Tchiakovsky, -- and in turn, I began to be entranced by local opera
productions.   There was intelligence and depth.   Since that point, it
has been an enjoyable journey of discovery.   I was lucky in that I feel
into an experience that stimulated me.   With the dearth of programming
geared to classical music, how likely is it that anyone, child or adult,
will be exposed by chance?

Elizabeth