From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:07:20 -0700
Richard Pennycuick, on (what we call) "The Bennett Problem":

>As well as the Bennetts Robert Russell and Richard Rodney, there are also
>five Mendelssohnian piano concertos and a symphony by William Sterndale
>Bennett which are more than passingly interesting.  Depending on the
>reference, his surname is given as either Bennett or Sterndale Bennett.
>Whichever, it's an odd coincidence that all three composers named Bennett
>require two forenames.  There may well be more of them.

Not AFAIK.  And we call him Bennett, not Sterndale Bennett, FWIW.  But
the Richard Rodney and Robert Russell problem makes things confusing.  "R.
R.  Bennett" seems like plenty of information but it's not, clearly (or
clear).  And how cumbersome is "Rich.  Rod.  Bennett" for an abbreviation?
A listings pain, to be sure, especially when a CD does not see fit to make
clear which Bennett's work is represented.  Ah, the trials...

Bob K.