From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:19:22 -0400
Deryk Barker writes:

>If this is what the good Prof [Joachiim Kaiser] wrote, he needs to check
>his history.  Celibidahce was only at the helm of rthe BPO between 1945 and
>Furtwaengler's de-Nazification in 1947.  From May 1947 until his death in
>November 1954 Furtwaengler was in charge again.  So Karajan only followed
>Celi in the sense that he did come (nearly 8 years) after.

Such was not Kaiser's mistake.  It traces to my severe condesation of his
editorial.  Deryk Barker is of course right: Furtwaengler's Round 2 with
the BPO preceded Karajan's takeover.  Incidentally, if memory serves, Celi
in his own innings, and then in Furtawaengler's, conducted the orchestra
some 400 times.  Seems he was much faster, back in those days.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]