From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 20:35:25 -0700
David Harbin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Can I throw my hat into the ring and name my favourite Bruckner recordings?
>Perhaps others out there can suggest their own favourite list:

Certainly.

>1.  Unsure.  Possibly the new Tintner when it is released.

Haitink or Sawallisch on Orfeo.

>2.  Karajan/BPO

Konwitcshny (Berlin Classics), Georg Jochum (Tahra), but I much prefer
the 1872 Carragan edition, Eichhorn (Camerata) and Tintner.

>3.  Tinter/RSNO = FRSO/Inbal

Haven't heard this yet. Which version? I prefer 1877/8 and either
Haitink (VPO) or (surprisingly) Sinopoli (Dresden).

>4.  Celibidache/Munich PO

Good choice. I like the recent Klemperer reissue but I think my
favourite is (one of) Asahina's.

>5.  Welser Most/LPO = Furtwangler/BPO (1942)

Well I like the W-M, but don't think it's in the same league as
Furtwaengler, or Konwitschny or Horenstein.

>6.  Tinter/NZSO (despite the playing) Furtwangler/BPO (1942 again)

You didn't mention that the Furtwaengler, great though it is (and actually
Nov 1943 BTW) is missing its first movement.

I think Tintner's earlier recording (on Deutsche Schallplatten) was
actually better than his Naxos disc.  But my favourites remain Klemperer
(by some margin) and Sawallisch.

>7.  Knappertsbusch/VPO (1949).  No contest

Well, I don't think I've heard this, but no contest? Not from Furtwaengler,
Rosbaud, Jochum, Abendroth, Boehm, Kabasta and many others?

(Actually, I just found that I have the Kna 1949 in my collection - I must
listen again, but it's obviously not one of my favourites)

>8.  Wand/NDRSO (1987 live Lubeck Cathedral) Horentsein/LSO

I've never quite understood the appeal of Wand from his
commercially-released recordings, not even this one, good though it is.
(Odd thing is, I have some off-air recordings of 5 & 9 which are
wonderful).

Horenstein, yes, but also his 1955 Vox, Furtwaengler (1944), and the
"usual suspects" Jochum, especially his 1949, Abendroth, Schuricht, et al.

>9.  Giulini/VPO (1989)

Furtwaengler (1944), Horenstein (Vox), Jochum's 1950s recording.

And, especially for its Samale/Mazzuca/Philips finale, Kurt Eichhorn
on Camerata.

Deryk Barker