From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:01:38 +0000
Jocelyn Wang wrote once more:

>Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>>When all the marked repeats are performed in Haydn, as they are being
>>done in Hogwood's series, then part of the impact of the work is lost
>>in my view.
>
>The mere fact that Haydn put those repeats in shows that the composer
>himself disagrees with you.  His judgement is to be given a higher value
>than yours, or anyone else's.

Did you read the rest of my piece where I point out very good reason why
Haydn probably included repeats even though it is against the best interest
of the music.

The thrust of the argument is that he and other composers of the time
did not see any more longevity in their music than a modern pop star does.
Thus they were often more interested in earning a crust from their work
than presenting it in its best artistic light.

Given this, I have no problem with the omission of repeats.

Another good reason has occured to me.  With many recordings of Haydn when
the repeats are ommited it is possible to get an extra symphony or two on
a disc.  This I feel will help to bring more of his masterpieces to a wider
audience.

Bob Draper