From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:41:00 -0700
Edgar Beach wrote:

> Is it possible, for the lovers of Schoneberg and other atonal composer's
> music, to explain clearly why they do like it so.  I know why I don't
> care for it.  It is because it violates my personal sense of what is
> beautiful.

If atonal music violates your sense of what is beautiful, then it is
doubtful that anyone's explanation of what they hear in Schoenberg et
al would make any difference to you.

I think it comes down to what makes up your personal sense of what is
beautiful - in which case,you might take up your own challenge and explain
that.  Even then, your explanation and - alongside that - my explanation
- would serve only to show what we already know - your personal sense
of what is beautiful differs in some ways from mine.

When I was 20 I bought the Columbia recording of the Elliot Carter First
Quartet.  My first impressions of the quartet was it was quite beautiful
- even romantic - a view I still hold today.  I also enjoy his 2nd
quartet, the sonata for Flute Oboe Cello & Harpsichord, the Cello Sonata
and the Piano Music.

But I never warmed to the Piano Concerto, the Double Concerto, and upon
hearing the opening bars of the 3rd quartet, I thought "You have *got*
to be kidding".

So I would say that, for me, the experience of listening to atonal music
is not in noticing that it is atonal - but that it matches my own personal
sense of what is beautiful.

Dave Harman
El Pas, TX