From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:23:57 -0500
Satoshi Akima:

>As far as English composers are concerned, nothing written in the
>centuries since Tallis by anyone - even Purcell - even matches the "Spem
>in Alium" in sheer visionary intensity.  When I first discovered the music
>of this period this was just the sort of music that made me wonder why
>anyone even bothered composing after such apparent perfection.  After this
>almost anything comes as an anticlimax.

We had the wonderful experience here in Kansas City recently of hearing the
combined Kansas City Chorale and the Phoenix Bach Choir, two professional
groups of about 24 singers each, sing the Spem in Alium in the round -
eight groups of five singers each.  [See my recent review in this List's
archives under the title 'There is Sweet Music.'] And I have to tell you
that no matter how good the Utopia Triumphans recording is -- and it IS
marvelous!  -- it simply cannot match hearing it live, in the round.
Absolutely blew me away.

Scott Morrison