From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:36:12 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>What caught my attention was a listing on a web site that ASV would be
>releasing a new disc of Marx string quartets.  It sounds intriguing, and I
>was wondering if anyone could provide me with a preview of what to expect.
>I don't think I've ever heard any works by Marx.

I've heard the piano concerto a while ago.  It was paired with Korngold's
left hand concerto.  I don't remember details, but one reviewer's notion
that the Marx concerto sounded as opulent, Hollywood style, as anything
Korngold wrote for the movies kind of fits.  Big, lavish, flashy.
Generally, I don't like this kind of thing, but I have to admit there
was enough color to the harmony to interest me.

Roger Hecht