From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:45:13 -0800
Watching a red-hot 1993 "Fedora" excerpt with Gavazzeni, Freni and Domingo
on the Classic Arts Showcase today, it suddenly struck me how distasteful
it is to hear the ceaseless kvetching by a very small and very vocal
minority about Domingo.

There is no question about their right to badmouth the man, but it's
equally obvious that an acknowledgment of his sterling qualities is very
much in order.

Forget his missteps as an excessively busy administrator, disregard his
inconsistency (to be kind) as a conductor, set aside your personal issues
- Domingo remains the most consistently reliable and gratifying singer
of our time, "us" being listeners in the past four decades.  If you
cannot appreciate what Domingo has given us over the years, the fault,
dear carper, is in ourselves, not in our stars.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org