From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:39:27 +0100
Don Satz wrote:

>Mikael Rasmusson wrote:
>
>>As somebody else pointed out: Bach transcribed some of Vivaldi's
>>concertos, and B wouldn't waste time on music lacking inspiration.
>
>I don't know about this kind of reasoning.  It seems to say:
>
>a.  I love Bach.
>b.  Bach transcribed Vivaldi.
>c.  Vivaldi must be good too.

I would prefer: c. Vivaldi is worth checking out.

>Beyond this speculation, I find it notable that Vivaldi fans often use
>this "transcription" premise to help support their views of Vivaldi's
>music.  How about just liking Vivaldi for himself and his music without
>any reference to what any other composer or person did or thinks.

I like his music whatever people say.  I tend to like controversial
composer for some bizarre reason.  I do not try to support my view, but
I try to support the composer and his music so that his music is more
frequently played/recorded.  The Bach-Vivaldi link is one way to do it.