From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:56:59 -0400
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...kindly list me 10 compositions since Britten's War Requiem (1962) that
>are as significant, well constructed and original as said same.

This has generated many lists of fine pieces by contributers well informed
about recent classical music trends, only one of which Oliveros represents.
To those lists I would add my favorites, the tragically unrecorded-as-yet
violin concerto of Rouse, Birtwistle's "Orfeo," and Currier's "Microsymph."
For the conservatives wishing sonata form were back in vogue, I recommend
Kvandal's violin concerto and the beautiful second piano concerto of Hoiby.

Now let's put the shoe on the other foot of the "good-old-days" music
lovers, and ask them for 10 19th-century compositions since Tristan (1859)
that are as significant, well constructed and original as said same.

Jeff Dunn