From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:41:36 -0700
Finally got a chance to dive back in last week.  Volume 121, "Chamber
Music for Flute" is enchanting.  I'm not very familiar with the work of
Jean-Claude Ge'rard, the flautist [sic; live with it] but his tone is rich
and he has a nice sense of Bach.  Lovely phrasing, and the same nice studio
sound I found in the rest of the set.

Interestingly this volume (2 CDs) has all chamber works written for flute,
plus some that may or may not have originally been intended for flute, some
of which are included on other volumes.  Thus a more-than-complete Bach
edition?

Included are:

6 Flute Sonatas, BWV 1030-35
Partita for Flute, BWV 1013
Trio Sonata for 2 Flutes (& Continuo I think), BWV 1039
Trio Sonata for Flute, Violin & Harpsichord, BWV 1038

plus:

Partita for?Lute, BWV 997
Sonata for Violin & Continuo, BWV 1020

These 2 took me by surprise.  The Lute Partita (so-called, I guess!) is
really cool on flute.  The Violin Sonata is not a stretch and sounds very
natural on flute.

The booklet is very helpful again and explains the questionable
instrumentation of the disputed works.  Nice ensemble playing too, I think
they're all members of the Stuttgart Bach Collegium.  Plus total time for
the 2CD set is 2:28:37.  Not too shabby.  A veritable whole afternoon of
Bach!

Someday soon I'll brave the first 10 sets of Cantatas.  Maybe.

Bob K.