From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:12:01 -0400
Joe Hagedorn writes:
>Most recent classical music composers I've heard are from over a hundred
>years old.  The most recent seem to be about fifty years ago.  Is anyone
>still writing classical music? Are there any Mozarts or Beethovens alive
>today?

I don't know about Mozarts and Beethovens, but many people still compose
classical.  Just on this list we have myself, Aaron, Wes, and several
others who actively write new music.

As for people off-list, you have Aaron Jay Kernis, Michael Torke, John
Williams, and many others.

In short, the only reason that you don't hear about these people is
because the popular culture has foolishly placed Pop music over Classical.

Joseph Sowa