From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:53:23 EDT
I guess I should have known I would get many replies to my statement.
That's fine.  I just wish more people would more carefully read what I have
to say.  If you'll notice, I said I'm sure there are SOME people who live
in a world of no artistic merit so they must force the unusual to attain
some sort of recognition.  I surely did NOT say that Cage or Schoenberg did
that.  That's what I do not get.  Everyone keeps saying "Ohh yeah...well
look at Cage.....or Look at Schoenberg, " when, in fact, I never mentioned
one particular composer.  I merely said that I am certain there are people
out there like that because I have talked to several and I was appalled at
their lack of artistic drive adn their drive towards high recognition.
This is a fact of life.  I have seen it.  Many other people have seen it.
Just make sure to more thoroughly read my statements before coming back
with a rebuttal which doesn't defend against any point I made.  I'm talking
theoretically...I have never criticized any 12 tone composers or anything
like that.  I do disagree though.  Why would anyone create a system to make
themselves more creative.  If the whole point of the 12 tone system was to
create a new set of boundaries then why not just write tonal music.  I
mean...this is a system which createsa predetermined melody in some but not
all respects.  Certainly there are many fascinating works out there but I
find it rather difficult that someone thinks to themselves "Wow...I just
thought of the most beautiful 12 tone melody in my head!" "Wow that is
gorgeous!" Then again..maybe they do.  One man's Picasso is another man's
wallpaper.

--Wes