From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:29:54 +0200
Kar-Ming Chong wrote:

>I'm looking for a recording of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.  I have the
>DG recording, conducted by James Levine, with Jesse Norman as the soprano.
>I bought this disc after reading Penguin's review but found the orchestral
>section overwhelmingly forceful.  Plus the powerful voice of the soprano
>can be off-putting at times.  Any recommendations?

This is one of those pieces that are so often and so well recorded that
it's difficult to single one or two versions out.  I like both of Boehm's
efforts (Price, Ludwig, forget the tenor, Talvela & the other one with
Stader, forget the alto, Dermota, Greindl).  Karajan recorded it very
well too with Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, Gedda and who was the baritone again?
Then there is Solti with Popp & Minton a.o.  Well, etc.etc.  If you're
interested in HIP recordings I would strongly (and, I believe, against the
advice of other list members ;) suggest Gardiner with Charlotte Margiono,
Catherine Robin a.o.

Philip