From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:40:45 -0500
Drew Capuder wrote:

>I placed my first order yesterday with Berkshire over their internet site,
>and I have a few questions.  ...
>
>Second, what experience have you had with shipping times?

Range of 2-6 weeks.

>Third, if a CD is listed on their web site, is that something of an
>assurance they still have it in stock?  ...

No assurance that they have it in stock.

>Fourth, have you had problems with ordering things from Berkshire and then
>they don't have it any more?

Frustrated for sure.

>As some of you have already commented, Berkshire has great prices, and they
>have a lot of items that are otherwise no longer available.

They have restrictions on returns and there are other aspects that some
will like find frustrating, but they are a low budget operation and I
would rather have those frustrations than higher prices.

I also find that they turn up some things I have never seem listed in any
other catalog.

I look forward to every new catalog and usually find something of interest.
It seems to me that their catalog would be of special interest to those who
are new to classical music.  With discs of the standard repertoire running
as low as 2-3 dollars you can gamble without fear of losing much money.  In
many ways it reminds me of the days when I started collecting.  Sam Goody's
in New York had a bargain annex.  Many discs were a dollar or less.  That
was 35 years ago.  Comparing prices and factoring in inflation, and long
playing time, a $3 CD is an incredible bargain.

Karl