From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:43:48 -0800
http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

On today's Prairie Home Companion:

   In the words of Garrison Keillor, "Vern Sutton is a gifted
   and big-hearted singer and performer, the guy you'd want
   to sing "Abide With Me" at your grandma's funeral and also
   the guy who, if you'd composed an opera in which Max, a
   World War I aviator with Tourette's, roller-skates onstage
   and rassles a bison while singing a twelve-tone aria in
   German, you'd want to play Max."

   When taking your first glance at the program of one of our
   song recitals, you might think that the typist had made a
   mistake or that some malfunctioning software combined the
   programs of several different singers or that we've simply
   lost our minds.  It's actually the result of the happy
   coming-together of our odd, unusual, rich performing
   backgrounds; our sense of mission in reviving, for both
   the new and the seasoned concert-goer, the vitality of our
   favorite medium, the song recital; our deep belief that
   there is great music in every style; and the gratifying
   discovery that it is possible for us together to express
   and even make sense of all the things mixed together in our
   backgrounds.

   For thirteen years, Vern Sutton was a regular guest on
   Garrison Keillor's original "A Prairie Home Companion" on
   American Public radio.  As s singer and actor, he has sung
   over 60 different roles, and for thirty years has been
   producer of the opera program at the University of Minnesota.

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org