From:
Nicolas Croze-Orton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:18:45 EDT
True, it is a very complex question, but I don't think it's hard to
resolve.  All you have to remember is composing then and composing now
have almost no relation.  Composition and interpretation and audience
ambience have more to do what we know of jazz after 1950 now.  I don't
think creativity was really stubbed that much by whom they where hired
by, it's more the limit of time and the occasion they had to compose for
wich didctated some of the harmonic and rythmic content thus changing
the mood for the occasion.  I would love to talk more about it, it's a
fascinating subject and I could finally put some of my musicology courses
to good use....  well if you ever come to Montreal we' will have coffee
and talk about it!  good luck!

Nick.