From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:03:52 -0500
As to Sjogren, the musicweb review (Dec.  2000) of the BIS CD of 2 of
his violin sonatas does claim him for a Swede, anyhow...  I have a faint
memory of William Newman's entry on him (in The Sonata Since Beethoven,
which quoted briefly from one of Sjogren's violin sonatas, in e minor as
I recall, so probably the 2nd, op. 24) doing so as well.  Excerpt looked
intriguing.  Sjogren also wrote organ works (some recorded on BIS), rather
more violin sonatas (at least 4-- opp.  19 in g, 24 in e, 32 in g and 47 in
b (nat.), once I think available in a complete recording), at least 2 piano
sonatas (the 1st in e op 35 was on a Swedish Soc Discofil LP, the 2nd in A
op 44 was on a Caprice LP), other piano music (as already noted), lieder,
balladen and thelike (which have also been the subject of recording,) a
cello sonata (op. 58 in A) and a Festspel for orchestra (op. 28.)

-Eric Schissel