From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:12:29 -0700
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/249787

   The secret life of Glenn Gould

   Michael Clarkson
   Special to the Star

   BRIDGEHAMPTON, N.Y.--When Glenn Gould died young 25 years ago,
   friends were stunned to find a love letter in his cluttered
   Toronto apartment, among the empty pill pots and records.

   "I am deeply in love with a certain beautiful girl. I asked her
   to marry me, but she turned me down but I still love her more
   than anything in the world and every minute I can spend with her
   is pure heaven . . ."

   It was the curtain call of not so much a life as an opera for
   perhaps the greatest piano virtuoso of the 20th century, who
   moved millions with his spiritual renditions of Bach, but was
   so afraid of intimacy and germs he was reluctant to let people
   touch him.

   "No supreme pianist has ever given of his heart and mind so
   overwhelmingly while showing himself so sparingly," said renowned
   violinist Yehudi Menuhin.

   History tells us that Gould, like so many geniuses, attained
   musical nirvana by giving up earthly desires for his work and
   that he could not love unless his Steinway was in the room.

   And yet, for four-and-a-half years, Gould allowed a beautiful,
   married artist to care for him, to caress him. In the words of
   his favourite Barbra Streisand song, "He Touched Me" -- "Suddenly
   . . . nothing was the same." To this day, Gould is remembered
   as a Canadian cultural giant, yet his private life remains
   shrouded in mystery. For most of his adult life, rumours abounded
   that he was asexual or gay.

   Gould was so paranoid about exposing his private life, he would
   cut off any colleagues or friends who discussed it and once fired
   a cleaning lady for gossiping about him. ....

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org