From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:27:11 -0400
Ramon Khalona wrote:

>Coming back to Janacek, I would strongly recommend his opera "Memoirs
>from the House of the Dead" based on Dostoyevsky, conducted by Neumann on
>Supraphon.  Apart from Jenufa and Katya Kabanova, this is one of his best,
>IMO.

A great opera and a great recording.  But don't miss the Mackerras/London
recording.  There was a lot of disagreement as to the condition of the
score when Janack died.  (House was his last opera.) Some students and/or
associates of Janacek thought his scoring looked rather sparse and sought
to "complete" it, filling in textures (Janacek liked to write passages for
instruments in extreme ranges with nothing in the middle), substituting the
softer horn for trombones, simplifying vocal passages, etc.  This makes for
a more romantic version that was used for a long time.  Rafael Kubilek made
some adjustments to this score (I forget exactly when), getting a little
closer to Janacek's original.  I think Neumann used this version in his
1979 recording, while Gregor (again, I think) used the "completed" version
for his 1964 recording.  Between these two, I prefer Neumann.  Anyway,
MAckerras essentially went back to the original "sparse" score, and the
result is somewhat of a different opera.  You'll have to judge for yourself
whether it's better or not, but again, it's worth hearing if you like this
piece.

Speaking generally, Mackerras's London versions are more romantic than the
Czech-led Supraphons.  The Vienna Philharmonic is weightier than the Czech
orchestras and Mackerras's singers more Western sounding (though he uses
several Czechs).  His interpretations are also more romantic.  It's hard to
choose.  I simply got them all and went from there.  I'm not familiar with
his new series.  And by the way, his Fate, on Chandos with a Welsh Opera
company (I think) is terrific (but in English, if that bothers you).  I
like the Jilek a lot, but Mackerras really puts a charge into this opera
and makes it come alive in a way the more restrained Jilek (a conductor I
like very much) does not quite match--good as that recording is.  Mackerras
gets better playing and sound, too.

Roger Hecht