From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:55:02 +0200
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]> wrote warmly about George Lloyd.
Here are some further vague reflections ....

I became involved with this very gentle man after the first 3 LPs had
appeared with Lyrita and got to know him and his Swiss wife after arranging
to set up for him the recording of his 4th Piano Concerto (Stott/LSO/Lloyd)
which appeared initially on my own label (Conifer).

In this way I introduced Lloyd to the Decca producer Andrew Cornall (aka
Howard Devon) and engineer Tony Faulkner both of whom lent great support to
Lloyd during that recording and in numerous future recordings of his works.
His praise for them was boundless.  Andrew,as the force behind the "new"
Argo label did the old boy many kindnesses including recording (for Argo)
his new choral work The Vigil of Venus (now out on Albany).

During Glock's years (as Controller of Music) at the BBC Lloyd could get
nothing performed (not even at the summer Promenade Concerts) presumably
because he didn't write music like Robert Simpson!  Lloyd liked good tunes!

But the man who, above all, helped Lloyd return to the mainstream of UK
musical life was Sir Edward Downes with the BBC Philharmonic (Manchester)
and to whom we should all be indebted.  Had George remained in obscurity we
should all be the poorer.

John G. Deacon
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon