From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:30:18 PDT
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Lately, I've been wanting to listen to an opera by Handel, but have
>no idea which one I should start with.

I have plenty of ideas which only require money to accomplish them.
Harmonia Mundi has probably the best track record with the operas.
McGegan conducts most of them, Jacobs one or two:

Radamisto - Agrippina - Ariodante - Flavio - Giustino - Ottone - Giulio
Cesare.

I'd go with Flavio which has some fantastic arias.  However, the others are
mighty fine as well.  Please note that Agrippina has also been recorded on
Archiv and Ottone on Hyperion - also very good performances.  Then there's
Riccardo Primo on Decca conducted by Rousset, Poro on Opus 111 conducted by
Biondi, Scipione on FNAC conducted by Rousset, Floridante on Hungaroton
conducted by McGegan, Orlando on Decca conducted by Hogwood(also on Erato
conducted by Christie), and a bunch of others on Newport and Vox which I'd
only investigate after the others were acquired (performances and recorded
sound not so good).  This is not an all-inclusive list - there's actually
plenty more.

>I do have the oratorio Esther by Harry Christophers and the Sixteen which I
>like very much.  Any other suggestions?

I also have Christopher's Esther.  Since you like this one, you might enjoy
even more Susanna on Harmonia Mundi (McGegan), Deborah on Hyperion (King),
Alexander Balus on Hyperion (King), Solomon on Philips (Gardiner) Collins
(Christophers) and Archiv (McCreesh), Judas Maccabaeus on Harmonia Mundi
(McMegan), and Saul on Philips (Gardiner).  This is also not an
all-inclusive list.  I think the best two picks would be Susanna and
Alexander Balus.  I assume you already have the Messiah.

You can't go wrong with any of the above opera and oratorio recordings
except for the releases on Newport and Vox.  Good luck - there's much to
listen to.  Beware of those modern instrument performances, recent or
somewhat historical.  Based on my preferences, they just don't do Handel
justice.  They tend to be either ponderous or the string instruments kill
the performance as in Nelson's DG recording of Semele.

Don Satz