From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:21:41 -0700
Alan Lynn wrote:

>Along the same lines, a British comedy duo from the 1950's (i think...)
>wrote lyrics for the entire 3rd Mvt.  Rondo of Mozart's 4th Horn Concerto
>which are quite hilarious if I do say so myself.  A performance can be
>found on Erik Ruske's recording of the Mozart concertos with the Scottish
>Chamber Orchestra on Telarc.

That would be Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.  The song is titled "Ill
Wind", and was part of their second 2-man review, "At the Drop of Another
Hat", 1964.  Their classic performances are collected in the 3 disc set The
Complete Flanders & Swann, which I should hope is still available from EMI.

"Ill Wind" begins:

   I once had a whim, and I had to obey it,
   To buy a French horn in a second-hand shop.
   I polished it up, and I started to play it,
   In spite of the neighbors who begged me to stop.

Flanders was a reciter in an excellent recording of Facade, and I suspect
he did a Peter & the Wolf as well.

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.