From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:21:14 +0100
William Hong wrote:

>And there always will be, too.  Even in this day and age I still sneak in
>some Bach/Stokowski and Handel/Harty when no one's looking.....shhhhhh.

And after years of a pure HIP-diet I find myself listening to and buying
old Cantata LP's (by such people as Ehmann and Werner) which were never
reissued on CD (and some who are - like the fantastic Winschermann 5 CD set
on Philips) and enjoying them as much as and occasionally more than Suzuki,
Herreweghe or Koopman....  Hm....BWV.84 sung by Agnes Giebel....that maybe
most beautiful of all Bach soprano voices joining Winschermann's oboe in
the Ehmann version....I think it's about a hundred times more moving than,
for instance, the Argenta/Huggett CD I compared it to.  I don't mean to say
that I'm suddenly converted to non-HIP, to me it's largely a non-issue and
I enjoy the best of both worlds....

Philip