From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:43:47 -0700
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Of course, this is a huge libel on the Dutch.  I've found that most of the
>native Dutch speakers I've met sound like Americans (ie, have no accent at
>all).

Quite right.  Before I came to the US I used to spend quite a lot of time
in the Netherlands and have always been amazed at the facility the Dutch
have with English -- not that it doesn't come to them without hard work of
course.

The explanation for Dutch being 'libelled' in English theatre in the 17th
and 18th centuries is, of course, easy to explain.  When we Brits weren't
fighting the French we were almost invariably having a damn good scrap with
the Dutch!  We don't talk about it too much these days largely because we
used to lose as often as we won!!!

They are a wonderful race of people with a fabulous cultural tradition.
Some of the most memorable concerts I have ever been to were in the
Concertgebouw and the Oude Kirke (sp?).  I wish I knew more about Dutch
composers.  Now there's a thread I would be interested in!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA