From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:29:53 -0700
The following set of comments were posted ending with D. Stephen Heersink's
grossly exaggerated and somewhat faulty history (or is it a paean?) dealing
with Naxos:

>Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]> responds:
>
>>In effect, it is (or at least a nonstarter).  There have been key elements
>>to Naxos's success: distribution; distribution; & distribution. ...
>>
>>Arte Nova on the other hand is just another traditional CM label run by
>>traditional CM entrepreneurs aimed at the budget market.
>
>Mr. Clements' point cannot be overstated.  The Naxos success story is one
>of a single individual, with a very simple objective, implemented with
>thoroughness and comprehensiveness.  ...  Because of the high quality
>productions, the easy access through multiple media, and a price that is
>the most competitive in the marketplace, Naxos releases fifteen-to-twenty
>CDs a month.  And I, among many other, have no trouble finding them, much
>less any problem paying the paltry $5 to have one of them.  Arte Nova and
>kindred labels are almost-rans, while Polygram and its great labels are a
>have-beens.  And the winner is, classical music!

First, replying to Robert Clements' characterization of Arte Nova - it is
distributed by BMG and thus, I believe, is as available as Naxos.  I fail
to see why it is considered just another CM label, though aimed at the
budget market.

Further, I am not so sure that Naxos has distribution readily everywhere.
I recently read several posts from other countries in which Naxos prices
were noted as significantly higher than, say Sony's Essential Classics.

For what it's worth, Naxos is part of HNH International, which has been in
business for decades, dating back to pre-CD days when they produced some
but mostly licensed and pressed LPs which were not set for US release by
the majors.  IIRC they sold at premium prices.

The same company now sells the Marco Polo label at regular premium CD
prices.

Thus one could characterize Naxos as just another "...CM label run by
traditional CM entrepreneurs aimed at the budget market.  "

What do we know about the financial condition of Naxos? Is it considerably
better off than the traditional CM labels?

To summarize, I guess I object mostly to Mr. Heersink's so far out
anti-elitist stance.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]