From:
Richard Claeys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:27:37 -0700
Allan Kohrman wrote:

>I remember Steinberg from his days as reviewer for the Boston Globe.
>He was famous for his (to me) meretricious vitriol.  Once, for example,
>when Carlo Maria Guilini guest conducted the Boston Symphony, he compared
>his conducting to to the way Groucho Marx might have lead the orchestra.
>The players tried to have him declared persona non grata, but things
>were smoothed over.

Close, but from my days in New England I remember that Steinberg's Globe
review compared Giulini's conducting to Danny Kaye--not Groucho.  That was
during the time that Danny Kaye was guest-conducting a number of benefit
concerts for various symphony orchestras and exaggerating all kinds of
podium antics. But the negative reaction of the players--who revered this
guest conductor--is most accurate.  The BSO Symphony Hall boxed set of great
broadcasts contains a 1974 performance of Hindemith's Mathis der Mahler
under Giulini that showcases the intensity and incandescence this maestro
brought to his Boston guest appearances.

Dick Claeys